Sunday, January 6, 2013

Dare Greatly

Happy Sunday, Inspiring Girls and Guys.

There is a new book in my life. I learned about it at the International Leadership Association annual conference in Denver last fall when I heard Dr. Brene Brown speak. I came home, bought her book, and have "finished" it more times than I can count over the last few months.  It's called Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead. I'm reading a couple of books right now but this is the one I keep coming back to because each time I pick it up, I absorb some new insight about a current situation, future plan, or recent action/reaction that sheds light on my personal path to living a soulful life.

It's a book perfectly timed for me. Perhaps it is for you, too. If you have a chance to read it - and I hope you do! - please share the pieces that inspire you with all of us.  On the highest level, Daring Greatly has driven home for me the bare naked fact that having the courage to pursue my dreams really just comes down to being, and believing, in me.  And sometimes that is the most intense kind of vulnerability.  

The quote by Theodore Roosevelt that inspired the book's title is worth sharing. It's written on our chalkboard at home with some of my other favorite quotes, and has become the theme for the way I wish to approach the million and one cool things on my radar - for 2013 and beyond. I hope the quote, and the book if you read it, inspires you, too, to dare greatly!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly...who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly."

                                                                                      - Theodore Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your comments and inspiring stories with our growing community of Inspiring Girls!